I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com

About Me

My Photo
Sam
I am 27 years old and am blessed to have my husband Brady, as my partner and best friend. We have two children, Parker and Piper, our little yorkie. We are constantly amazed by the joy they bring into our lives and can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!
View my complete profile

Monday, November 14, 2011

I'm sorry, I don't speak English

We are so blessed to have been placed in a country where they speak the same language.  However, sometimes I just plain feel like an idiot when I seriously cannot understand a word someone just said.  I realize that a lot of this has to do with the fact that I can't hear worth anything (Brady is constantly frustrated by the volume level on the tv), and the rest is vocabulary confusion.  Here are some examples of what an idiot I am...

This morning the receptionist at the gym told me she found a store where they sold pumpkin puree (that much I heard after asking twice).  She then went on to tell me details for at least the next three minutes, but I have no idea what she said.  Needless to say, I smiled, said thank you, and will not be having pumpkin rolls for Thanksgiving.

About a week ago I went into a local charity thrift store.  I asked the man if they took all kinds of donations, he said they took everything except "etro*&orus."  Yes, I know that is not a word, but that is how it sounded.  For a few minutes we went back and forth with me looking confused and he trying to say the word more clearly.  Finally, he decided to give me examples...robots, tv, toaster.  He was trying to say electronics, ha (oh and yes, his first example really was robot).

I would write more specific examples, but I honestly have to say "oh, right" or "uh huh" or "really" at least 5 times a day because I honestly have no idea what someone has just said.  I know I shouldn't be that shocked that I am embarrassing myself daily, but this is getting kind of ridiculous!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Ha ha. I love you!

Lindsey E. said...

I had a good friend in high school that had moved from England and it took me forever to understand her! At first we could never talk on the phone because I needed to read her lips. Eventually I either caught on or her accent tamed down a bit.

Post a Comment